Margreid on the Alto Adige Wine Road is one of the most beautiful wine villages in South Tyrol.
Although it was first mentioned in 1182, coin and settlement findings from the Roman times point to a much earlier settlement date. The historic village has retained most of its authentic buildings; aristocratic mansions stand in a row, German Gothic architecture mixes with southern Renaissance and cheerful Baroque. Stone-framed portals, dome-shaped round arch windows, long staircases, small loggias and many artfully designed window grills give this village its special character.
The village area consists of approximately 14 km², of which 166 hectares are planted in vineyards and 188 hectares in apple orchards. About 30% of the 1281 inhabitants live mainly from orchard and vineyard cultivation. Therefore, Margreid not only hosts three wine cellars but is also the headquarters for the fruit cooperative association Kurmark-Unifrut where the farmers from Margreid, Kurtatsch, Kurtinig and the neighbouring villages deliver their harvest and fresh apples are available for sale. Once a week (except in July), there is the possibility of visiting the cooperative and following the production process first-hand.
1281 inhabitants (2011)
Hamlet: Unterfennberg/Favogna di sotto